With an extensive background in digital marketing, U.K native, Jane Mitchell didn’t hesitate to dive head first into creating her own digital marketing business, Mitchell Creative, when she first arrived in Australia in 2001. Since this time, the business has expanded exponentially and now has offices located in Townsville and Darwin, both of which offers services across the areas of website design, graphic design and digital marketing. We sat down with Jane to learn more about Mitchell Creative and get her insight as to how businesses can navigate the ever-changing digital marketing landscape.
1. What are some of the services Mitchell Creative offers clients?
We provide a complete range of services in the digital marketing space – from logo design, graphic design, website design, social media marketing, search engine optimisation, search engine marketing – anything digital marketing. We work with small businesses who are starting out, larger businesses and government agencies – from our Townsville and Darwin offices.
2. When you started Mitchell Creative in the early 2000’s, digital marketing was quite different to where it currently is today. How have you had to adapt the business over the years to keep up with the emerging industry and growing demand?
The principles of marketing remain the same, and it’s easy for businesses to overspend and underperform in their marketing. We maintain the same basic principles of digital marketing. With so many different ways to spend a marketing budget, going over budget can be all too easy. The many different ways we can now access customers is fantastic for businesses. Our job is to make sure the money is being spent in the right place for the maximum return and that’s where the tried and tested principles of marketing come into play.
3. What’s been the most challenging part of owning and operating your own business?
My business started as a home based one man (woman!) band. Finding the right people who can not only do the job but share my vision and values is always the most difficult task. We are lucky to have a great team now and without them the business would not be where it is today.
4. What advice would you give to businesses who are wanting to build a digital marketing strategy but are unsure as to where to start?
Get some proper advice from a reputable firm. It’s too easy to spend a lot of money for little or no return. A step by step approach, and testing different strategies pays off. What works for one business does not necessarily work for another. It‘s important to have your key offering and whilst you need to understand who your competitors are, you need to tread your own path and have a solid offering that you can deliver on. If you get it right, you will succeed.
5. What are your top five digital marketing tips for businesses?
- Identify your point of difference – Have a clear message about your brand or products that is your unique selling point.
- Clear Branding – Everything released should have clear branding – same style, same colours, same font, so people recognise your business.
- Identify your Audience – Be tactical in who you are advertising to – a scatter gun approach will cost you more money and give you less return.
- Consider more traditional marketing, such as Radio, TV, Billboards and Signage. These can be very successful in getting your brand known – there is a reason all the big boys – Coke, McDonalds, Harvey Norman – all use this media.
- Advertising is not a one off, it’s a long term investment. It’s unrealistic to expect a direct return in relation to advertising spend. To be front of mind you need to have your brand consistently visible.
Click here for more information on Mitchell Creative.